Work and Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) & Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462)

The Working Holiday Maker programme has two types of visas: Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) depending on your country of residence. See below for lists of countries eligible for each visa.

If you intend to participate in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker programme, you must apply for your visa before you arrive. These types of visas allow you to stay and work in Australia in all types of full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work for up to 12 months. You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

You can also study for a maximum of four months in Australia in addition to working during your holiday.

You will need to meet certain health, character and financial requirements and declare that you will respect Australian values and obey Australian laws before a visa is granted. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia. Health insurance from your own country is also recommended.

The Working Holiday Maker programme is not suitable for those seeking permanent employment or full-time study in Australia. If your primary reason for coming to Australia is to seek employment or study you should enquire about a business visa or student visa which may better suit your needs.

Which visa should I apply for?

Apply for the Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) if you are from:

• Argentina

• Bangladesh

• Chile

• Indonesia

• Malaysia

• Poland

• Turkey

• Thailand

• Uruguay


Apply for the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) if you are from:

• United Kingdom

• Canada

• Belgium

• Denmark

• Estonia

• Finland

• France

• Germany

• Hong Kong

• Italy

• Japan

• Malta

• Netherlands

• Norway

• Republic of Ireland

• Republic of Cyprus

• Republic of Korea

• Sweden

• Taiwan

Arrangements are also being negotiated with other countries, so check the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for the latest updates


Some of the requirements may change every financial year, please contact us for the latest migration policies and requirements updates.

Contact Us

Office Hours : Mon – Fri 9:30am – 5:30pm

Address : Level 23, 52 Martin Place, Sydney 2000

Contact Number : 02 9220 5104 (English) | 02 9220 5105 (Chinese)

Email :