Student Visa

Anyone enrolling as an international student on a course lasting four months or more in Australia will need a student visa. Here are the key things to know.

What type of visa do I need?

The Student (Temporary) (Class TU) visa comprises eight subclasses.

Subclasses 570–576 are based on the education sector of your main course. The subclasses and the prescribed courses for each subclass are:

Independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)

ELICOS (non-award and Certificate I–IV) as a stand-alone course.

Students undertaking ELICOS as a pre-requisite to another course must apply for a visa under the subclass appropriate tothe main course.


Primary school; secondary school including junior and senior secondary; approved secondary exchange programs.

Read more..

Vocational education and training (VET) 

Certificate I, II, III, and IV; VET diploma; VET advanced diploma. 

Read more..

Higher education (HE)

Bachelor degree; associate degree; graduate certificate; graduate diploma; HE diploma; HE advanced diploma; masters by coursework.

Read more..

Postgraduate research 

Masters by research degree; Doctoral degree.

Read more..


Enabling course; non-award foundation studies; other time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award.

Read more..

Foreign Affairs or Defence 

Full-time courses of all types undertaken by Foreign Affairs or Defence students sponsored by the AustralianGovernment.

When should I apply?

You can only make an application for an Australian student visa after you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your chosen university. In order to get a CoE, you must have been given a formal offer by the university, accepted it in writing and paid a deposit toward your tuition fees.

How long does the visa last?

Your student visa will last for the duration of your studies (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course. This can range from one to three months, depending on the length of your course and the month in which it ends. If you are studying a course that is longer than ten months and ends in November or December, for example, the visa will usually end on March 15 the following year.


Some of the requirements may change every financial year, please contact us for the latest migration policies and requirements updates.

Contact Us

Office Hours : Mon – Fri 9:30am – 5:30pm

Address : Level 23, 52 Martin Place, Sydney 2000

Contact Number : 02 9220 5104 (English) | 02 9220 5105 (Chinese)

Email :